Hypnosis for pregnancy & childbirth
Hypnobirthing - empowering you to have a positive pregnancy and childbirth experience. One-to-one and group sessions available.
Birth has the potential to be one of the most wonderful experiences of your life. Childbirth is a natural physiological process that a woman’s body is fully equipped for. Each birth is unique, and easibirthing® is about empowering you to manage your individual experience, not fear it. We train you to use self-hypnosis, relaxation, visualisation and breathing methods to prepare mind and body for birth. The easibirthing® method teaches you how to use hypnosis for pain management and aims to boost your trust in your body so you enter labour feeling calm, confident and in control. This is about reaching a state of deep relaxation, maintaining perception of control over the process and developing a positive attitude.The easibirthing® method seeks to enable you to have the active birth you want but whether you are planning a home birth or birthing in a hospital or birth centre, this training is designed to suit you (and that includes if you are planning an elective C-section). It is about changing your expectation of birth so that you help, rather than hinder, the natural process. The skills and techniques you learn are far reaching, useful during the antenatal, perinatal and postnatal period.
What are the benefits of using the ‘easibirthing’® method?
- Reduce or eliminate fear and anxiety
- Produce widespread relaxation
- Significantly diminish or eliminate the need for medication; thereby eliminating its risks and post-delivery effects for both mother and child
- Increase the rate of spontaneous vaginal birth, reducing the need for intervention
- Shorten the period of labour; by reducing anxiety during each stage
- Make possible the management and control of sensations of discomfort
- Promote a steady recovery
- Encourage and increase positive emotions during the entire birth process
- Help you create an experience with positive memories associated with it
- Reduce incidence of postnatal depression
- Stimulate and maintain a strong energy level into the post-delivery phase
- Promote lactation for breast-feeding
- Calmer, more laid-back baby
Feeling anxious or low during pregnancy can be confusing and debilitating. Therapy can help you explore your thoughts and feelings and help you to enjoy the journey towards becoming a parent. During early pregnancy, nausea, vomiting and tiredness are common symptoms. Around half of all pregnant women experience nausea and vomiting, and around 3 in 10 women experience nausea without vomiting. Nausea and vomiting usually start to get better after the first three months of pregnancy, and you’ll feel some of your energy returning. However, some women experience NVP for longer than this, and about 1 woman in 10 continues to feel sick after week 20. People sometimes consider morning sickness a minor inconvenience of pregnancy, but for some women it can have a significant, adverse effect on their day-to-day activities and quality of life.
Additional issues that can be addressed in one-to-one sessions using hypnosis and/or psychotherapy:
- Turning breech babies
- Tokophobia (fear of pregnancy and childbirth)
- Hyperemesis gravidarum
- Needle or hospital phobia
- Antenatal depression and anxiety
- Stress management in antenatal period
- Mental preparation for parenthood
- PTSD from previous birth experience
- Postnatal depression and anxiety